About me

Elizabeth Paterson is a married, mother of three children. She loves all things creative and is currently writing Children's Stories, hopefully for future publication. She is also interested in Young Adult fiction and is studying Creative Writing through an online educator.

Thursday 23 April 2015

Introducing Chester & Hugh


Introducing Chester & Hugh


These are the cute little bears that started this whole new endeavor to write. 
I'd gotten the inkling to try writing again a few months back and decided I would buy myself a writing journal. I would find pictures or quotes, anything really to help trigger the author's light bulb and provide inspiration for stories and just see what happened and if I really could enjoy it as an ongoing thing.
For Ewan's 2nd birthday his Great-Grandmother (GranNan) gave him a card with a picture on the front of two bears fishing from a boat made out of Newspaper. I looked at it and thought there must be a fun story behind these bears, and so I set out to tell that story that I imagined was speaking to me off the front of that card. 
Chester & Norm and the Newspaper Boat was born. 
I sent it to my bestie and soon as I sent it I knew that Norm was not the right name. Bestie and I tossed around a few other names but Hugh was the one that really stuck with me. 
I created some illustrations to go with my story (a little different in concept to the two handsome gentlemen above - I've done some tweaking with their appearance) and even wrote a sequel that I was more than happy with. Continuing the adventures of Chester & Hugh was a great joy and I found myself not just enjoying writing but being almost feverishly excited!
The style of writing I used for C&H then birthed Florence & Rose which I have already posted on this blog previously. 
It's a strange thing to create. I have become quite attached to these characters. I enjoy thinking about them; who they are/were and where they might be headed in the future. 
Chester is playful. He always finds the fun and is quick to lead the way into something adventurous. He's the sort of bear that would thrill at the idea of jumping in puddles just after the rain. He's the bear that blows bubbles in his milk, and plays hockey with his fork and the last pea on his dinner plate. He loves activity and loves making other people laugh and enjoy themselves. If I was to liken Chester to someone I know he would be a combination of my husband and my son :)
Hugh is a little more refined. He's older than Chester and he's very intelligent. He enjoys working the muscles of his mind. But his deep thinking mind is also lively enough that he is happy to tag along in tow of Chester's playfulness. Hugh doesn't mind trying his hand at a little play acting, in fact, he enjoys the mental challenge of taking on another persona. He's well educated and has great memory recall, and although he is happy to join Chester on his adventures, Hugh will spend the time furthering his mind by absorbing the experiences and enjoying the scenery. To liken Hugh to someone that I know would have to be my Dad :)

Now when I wrote these characters I had not intended on drawing from qualities of three of the most important men in my life, but perhaps that's another reason why I love these bears. Because they remind me of the men I love. 

Chester & Hugh's story was sent off to a publisher in South Australia. They say on the website that it could take upwards of three months for them to respond to successful manuscripts and that if you don't hear from them then you can assume that you have not been unsuccessful. 

And so it is a waiting game. Waiting for months just to see if you do not get any answer so that you can then try another publisher and probably wait again.

But when I wrote this story I said to myself "Even if this never gets professionally published, I will do up a book myself just so that I can have a story to read to my children with my name on it, and dedicated to them, so they can know that I was thinking of them when I wrote this story."
And that's what I'll do now. 
While I wait, I will draw, and I will try and put together my own illustrated version of Chester & Hugh and the Newspaper Boat and see what happens down the track!

Fingers crossed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment